Why You Need To Give Up All Gluten For 90 Days To Treat Autoimmune Disease Effectively
REASON 3 (YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM IS STILL ON FIRE BECAUSE OF PHYSICAL, EMOTIONAL OR PHYSIOLOGIC STRESS)
It is a well-known fact that stress increases inflammation and activates you immune system. Even small amount of constant stress, such as work stress, financial stress, family stress or marriage stress, takes a toll on our gut.
Stress causes many negative changes in the gut, including the following:
– It can change the composition of your bacteria – in favor of bad bacteria
– Stress increases intestinal permeability, A.K.A causes leaky gut
– It has even been associated with an increased risk of: GERD, peptic ulcer disease, inflammatory bowel disease (like Crohn’s and Ulcerative Colitis), irritable bowel syndrome and even food allergies
You can approach your autoimmune disease without addressing the stress levels. It is highly recommended to spend twenty minutes daily doing something you love, such as spiritual prayer, meditation, or yoga. Taking an Epsom salt bath with baking soda and lavender oil helps a lot as well.
REASON 4 (YOU’RE NOT AVOIDING FOODS THAT CROSS-REACT WITH GLUTEN OR DIRECTLY CAUSE INFLAMMATION BY THEMSELVES (MILK, RICE, CORN, SESAME AND GLUTEN FREE OATS))
Going gluten free is the first step into healing your autoimmune disease, but it shouldn’t be your last.
Many foods cross react with gliadin molecule, the part of gluten that some people don’t tolerate. In other words, the protein of gliadin and of milk, rice, sesame, corn and gluten free oats looks very similar and the body cannot differentiate between them. Consequently, it may still react to these foods and cause inflammation.
For instance, milk contains lactose and casein, both of which are not tolerated by many people and result in inflammation.
In brief, removing these foods for a short period of time is not only beneficial but NECESSARY for some people to reduce inflammation. It is recommended to pick a diet that avoids these foods along with gluten and stick to it for at least three months.
REASON 5 (AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES ARE COMPLEX AND REQUIRE A MULTIFACETED APPROACH TO TREATMENT!)
As mentioned in the very beginning, autoimmunity is very complex disease and it requires a multifaceted approach.
From constant fatigue, lack of mental clarity, unexpected weight gain, depression, hair loss, brain fog to the roller coaster that comes with seeing many doctors after being misdiagnosed for years, it becomes evident that comprehensive approach to treatment is required for optimal results.
The recommended treatment includes 6 steps, all of which are critical:
1. Proper diet that is tailored to the individual and helps nourish the adrenals while focuses on nutrient deficiencies and reducing inflammation and autoimmunity
2. Addressing gut health and gut imbalances that may be accelerating inflammation in the body and reducing absorption of critical nutrients
3. Address adrenal status with adaptogens or glandular
4. Replete nutrient deficiencies, including Iron, B12, Zinc, Selenium, Iodine, and Vitamin D3
5. Finding the right medications (if indicated) for each individual
6. Removing toxins that may be interfering with hormonal production or disrupting organ function