The Powers Of Baking Soda – It Does Miracles To Your Skin, Hair And Body
Baking soda or sodium bicarbonate is a natural substance in the form of fine powder which has powerful antiseptic, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties. Moreover, it is very effective against colds, oral problems and skin conditions. However, you should not exaggerate with its use because it can damage the skin, hair and gums.
Here are some of the benefits of baking soda:
– Improves skin complexion – it has the ability to remove the dead skin cells and to maintain proper pH level which is essential for healthy and clear skin. Make a paste of filtered rose water and add 1-2 teaspoons of baking soda. Apply it on your face and let it act for 1 minute rubbing it off using the tips of your fingers. Afterwards wash your face with lukewarm water. Repeat the procedure once or twice a week. Also, you can mix lemon juice and 4-5 extra-virgin olive oil and apply it on your face leaving it stay for 5 minutes and rinse off with cold water. Repeat this 2-3 times a week.
– Brightens yellow teeth – baking soda is very effective in removing the yellow stains and plaque from your teeth. You can a little amount of it along with toothpaste on your toothbrush and brush your teeth for 2 minutes. Do not do this more than once a day. Also, you can make a homemade teeth whitener by mixing 4 tbsp. of turmeric root, 2 tbsp. of baking soda, and 3 tbsp. of extra-virgin coconut oil. Brush your teeth with this mixture once a day for a few days. Bear in mind the fact that excessive use of baking soda can damage your natural teeth enamel.
– Fights pimples and acne – it is very effective in treating acne and other skin conditions. You can mix 1 tsp of it with a baking soda to make a paste, apply on the affected area and let it stay for 1-2 minutes, then wash your face with cold water. Repeat the procedure 2-3 days, than reduce to 1-2 times a week
– Treats body odor – baking soda has the ability to absorb moisture and sweat from the skin and to reduce the unpleasant body odors. Make a mixture from 1/8 tsp. of baking soda, 1 tbsp. of water and a few drops of any essential oil and apply it on your skin using cotton balls. Also, you can make a mixture of baking soda and cornstarch in equal ratio and apply it onto your dry underarms to prevent sweating and bad odor.
– Relieves sunburn and sunburn blisters – it calms irritated skin and relieves itching and burning sensations. Thanks to its antiseptic and drying properties, it has the ability to dry the sunburn blisters very quickly. Simply mix 1-2 tbsp. in cold water, dip a washcloth in it, wring it out to excess and apply it on the affected area. Let it act for 5-10 minutes. Repeat the procedure 2-3 times a day until you feel relief. Also, add ½ cup of it in a bathtub filled with water, mix well and dip in it for 10-15 minutes, then pat dry or allow your body to air dry. Repeat this once a day for a few days.
– Treats nail fungus – make a mixture of 2 tbsp. of baking soda in 1 cup of raw, unfiltered apple cedar vinegar, soak toenails for 5 minutes in it and then pat dry them with paper towels. Repeat the procedure twice a day. Also, you can make a paste of 1-2 tsp of baking soda and warm water and apply it on the nails for couple of minutes and then rinse off with warm water. Repeat the procedure once a day.
– Treats smelly and oily hair – baking soda has alkaline nature and therefore has the ability to balance the pH levels on the scalp keeping it healthy and clean. Make a mixture of baking soda and water in ratio 1:3, apply on dump hair, let it stay for 5 minutes and rinse it off. Repeat the procedure twice a month. Also you can add 1 tsp of baking soda in your regular shampoo bottle and wash your hair 1-2 times a week; or mix equal amounts of baking soda and cornstarch, sprinkle it at the roots of your hair and tousle it around. Finally brush your hair with a good quality brush.
– Treats stained or yellow nails – as it was previously mentioned, baking soda has bleaching and exfoliating properties which are very effective in removing stains. Mix ½ cup of water with 1 tsp. of 3% hydrogen peroxide and 1 tbsp. of baking soda in a bowl. Mix well and soak your nails for 2-3 minutes in this mixture. Repeat this once every 2 weeks. Or, mix 2½ tbsp. of baking soda with 1 tbsp. of 3% hydrogen peroxide to make a fine paste and apply on your nails using a cotton swab. Repeat the procedure once in 2 months.
– Heals skin rashes and itchiness – baking soda has the ability to reduce inflammation, swelling and itching, thanks to its powerful anti-inflammatory properties. For local irritation make a mixture of water and baking soda in ratio of 1:3, apply on the affected area and let it act for a few minutes. Afterwards wash it off will cool water. Repeat the procedure regularly. In case of itching all over your body, add 1 cup of the baking soda in a bathtub of cool water and soak for 10 minutes a day. Note: you should not use baking soda if your skin is damaged or very irritated.
– Removes dandruff – it has the ability to balance the pH levels of the scalp and maintain a healthy equilibrium. Apply 1 tsp. of baking soda on wet hair and scalp, let it act for 1 minute and rinse thoroughly. Repeat this once a week. Also, you can mix 1 tsp of baking soda with fresh lemon juice and apply it on your scalp. Let it act for 2-3 minutes and then rinse it off. Repeat the procedure once a week.