Make Your Own Fabric Softener to Avoid Toxins
Making your own fabric softener is a great way to create scents that delight you while ensuring your clothing is softened without the use of chemicals. The ingredients won’t cause those with sensitive skin to itch, nor do these products harm the environment. The more fragile fabrics are capable of standing up to them, and it contains an all-natural odor remover that will completely annihilate smells.
In this low-cost, simple to make and customizable recipe, you can ensure that you’re using homemade products that have no negative impact. It even works powerfully, cleaning up stains like urine and vomit.
Homemade Fabric Softener
The fabric softener uses simple ingredients to create a powerful cleanser and softener.
1. You simply need a couple cups of Epsom salts, or a very coarse sea salt, to create a base.
2. Keep a few other ingredients on hand, including 20-30 drops of essential oils or blended scents, half a cup of baking soda, a marker and a container with a lid. Be sure the container lid fits snugly to keep everything fresh.
3. Use the container to mix everything together. Place two cups of the Epsom or coarse sea salt, into the container and add the essential oils. You can use lemon, a refreshingly bright scent, or any other essential oil.
4. Stir these well before you add the baking soda. Baking soda isn’t entirely required, as you can add it to the wash separately. Baking soda does wonders on stains, sucking them away and destroying them.
5. Mix all of these together well, and close the lid tightly. If you plan to make other scents, label the container with the types of essential oils you used in it to keep everything organized. You only need to use 2-3 tablespoons before your clothes rinse through the wash. If you didn’t include the baking soda, add half a cup to each load you wash.
6. Make adjustments to double or even triple the recipes’ turnout. You can alter the amount of essential oil to create a stronger or weaker scent. If you add more Epsom salts, you can create even more fabric softener. However, be sure to include more drops of essential oils to ensure that you make up for the difference.
Benefits of Homemade Fabric Softener
Homemade fabric softener allows you to create a completely harmless and effective product. Commercial products might sound innocuous, however they are filled with chemicals, such as benzyl acetate which is linked to pancreatic cancer, which can become absorbed into the skin or inhaled. They are pretty bad for the environment as they are typically petroleum-based, which isn’t biodegradable and is a non-renewable resource. Commercial fabric softeners also contain benzyl alcohol, which causes irritants to the upper respiratory tract, and chloroform, which is a carcinogen and neurotoxin.
When you make your own fabric softener, you can choose what goes into it all! It is the one time when you know for sure what you are getting when you use the materials inside. You can incorporate the use of different herb oils to create intricate scents, such as lavender and rose.