Discover The Healing Power of Pomegranate
We all know and love pomegranates. This fruit originates from Asia. It’s full of small red grains. People usually eat the fruit itself or prepare juice out of it. It has a neuroprotective action against cerebral aging as well as Alzheimer’s disease. Pomegranates are full of antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and anti-aging properties.
Pomegranates contain a polyphenol which is called ellagitannin. It goes inside our intestinal flora and creates molecules called urolithins. The urolithins are the most responsible for all the benefits of this fruit.
Our intestines produce the compound called urolithin A naturally. Then, a molecule of the pomegranate which belongs to the ellagitannins becomes digested by the bacteria in our intestinal flora. As soon as the precursor of urolithin A goes into the intestine, it becomes divided into ellagic acid. Then, it is transformed into intestinal bacteria and later becomes urolithin A.
Urolithin A is the only known molecule which is able to restart the process of mitochondrial cleansing also called mitophagy. This substance is completely natural with extra powerful effects.
Urolithin A can also be found in smaller amounts in berries and nuts.
The effects of this substance on the brain
According to a particular study, the urolithins are the ones that can limit the creation of the plaque which is responsible for Alzheimer’s disease. They are full of neuroprotective and anti-inflammatory effects.
Pomegranate and prostate cancer
Foods which contain an abundance of antioxidants and polyphenols are well-known to possess strong anti-carcinogenic properties.
“Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Disease” published a study where the researchers used polyphenol-rich foods in order to assist in the decrease of the development of prostate cancer.
The group of researchers tested about 200 men. Some of the men took a mixture of broccoli, pomegranate, turmeric and green tea and some took placebo.
The group which received the mixture showed a significant decrease in the development of prostate cancer.
Pomegranate juice and less oxidative stress
A scientific research performed in a hospital in Israel managed to prove that the regular consumption of pomegranate juice led to a decrease in the complications of patients who underwent dialysis.
Almost 100 patients on dialysis were tested.
The results also showed less oxidative stress and less inflammation, as well as a decreased risk of cardiovascular diseases and infections.
Other benefits of the pomegranate
This amazing natural product is abundant in health benefits. It can even replace medicines which are only full of various side-effects.
Here are some of the best benefits a pomegranate or its juice can offer to you:
- Relieves stress;
- Reduces the development of cataracts;
- Strengthens bones and muscles ;
- Reduces blood pressure ;
- Improves diabetes;
- Is full of anti-inflammatory properties;
- Prevents the deterioration of cartilage;
- Reduces the LDL (bad) cholesterol;
- Assists in the prevention of various types of cancer, especially prostate cancer;
- Is full of antibacterial effects and reduces the formation of dental plaque. People in India use the bitter and white parts of the pomegranate as the main ingredients of a natural toothpaste;
- Protects the skin from the harmful ultraviolet rays (if you apply it topically);
- Eliminates intestinal parasites;
- Prevents the accumulation of fat in your abdomen;
- Is full of astringent properties which prevent diarrhea, especially when we use the bark and the peel of the pomegranate tree. Still, in case you have a constipation, don’t overuse pomegranate juice as it can cause side-effects.